With my new camera equipment, I’ve decided to get more deliberate and technical with some of my photography from here on out so I need some experienced photographers’ help on why this picture isn’t in focus from front to back. I shot it with the following equipment and settings:
- Sony a7 III full frame
- Sigma 24-70mm art lens at 70mm
- SS 1/5 sec
- ISO 250
- Two second timer before shutter release
- Forgot to turn off image stabilization
- Auto, single point focus about half way into flower field
- No wind that I can remember
These are the options I thought of to try and improve the focus of the entire image next time:
- Definitely turn image stabilization off when using a tripod I’ve read multiple places
- Shoot at a wider angle, closer to 24mm
- Shoot at a faster Shutter speed, which would then bump up my ISO
- Shoot at a smaller aperture, maybe f/13 or f/16 which would also bump up my ISO, and I hate to do too much of that.
So I have three questions:. 1) Why do you think I failed to nail the focus in this image? 2) Do you think the things I listed above would help me get a better focused landscape image next time? and 3) What else can I do that will help me nail the focus besides focus stacking? I don’t think I’m reading to tackle that type of post processing yet.
Thanks so much for any help you can offer. 💖